Monday, October 31, 2011

A New Dawn



The bus from Nairobi to Mombasa rolls on into the endless night. The sky above is filthy with stars, and I become increasingly relaxed as Nairobi grows ever distant in the rear view mirror.

I arrive in Mombasa on the cusp of dawn. I disembark to find myself on a street somewhere in the ever increasing light. I light a cigarette and breathe in my surroundings. Happily, the vibe in Mombasa is much different than Nairobi. People say "hello" and "welcome". As they pass I feel a weight slowly rise from my shoulders.

At last, I am in the Africa that  I came to see. I finish my smoke and hop in a tuk-tuk, making my way to Nyali Beach and my ultimate destination, Nirvana Backpackers Hostel.

Unfortunately, I am dreadfully early. After overpaying my driver the man at the gate lets me in. The guard proceeds to wake up the manager, a lovely young lady by the name of Jane.

My room is occupied, but I am graciously offered a bed in the hostel area, which I readily accept.

As I drift off to sleep a smile comes across my face, buoyed by the overwhelming feeling that the road before me is finally unfolding as it should.

http://www.goyestoeverything.com